Monday, July 12, 2010

Mojo Monday ~ Literature






















 "Books are carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. They are engines of change, windows on the world, lighthouses erected in the sea of time." ~ Barbara W. Tuchman

I am a lover of books. My love affair started when I was a very small child. Trips to the library thrilled me. Immersing oneself in other worlds, seeing new perspectives through either a writers’ or a characters’ point of view and learning about the real world or even an imaginary universe is, I believe, one of the most valuable educations anyone can attain. Introducing a child to the wonder of books is one of the greatest gifts you can give to her.

Some people love novels. Others are drawn to non-fiction. Some readers love particular genres like science fiction or even self-help.

Do you have a favorite genre? What about a favorite book or books? Is there one on your shelf that you will never part with or that you have given as gifts to family and friends?

Here is a short list of books based on categories that I have enjoyed.

Relationships: If the Buddha Married: Creating Enduring Relationships on a Spiritual Path by Charlotte Kasl, PhD

Creativity: What We Ache For: Creativity and the Unfolding of Your Soul by Oriah Mountain Dreamer and The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron

Parenting: Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children and Becoming A mindful Parent: Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children both by Sarah Napthali

Health and Wellness: Quantum Wellness: A Practical and Spiritual Guide to Health and Happiness by Kathy Freston and A Woman’s Book of Strength: An Empowering Guide to Total Mind/Body Fitness by Karen Andes

Personality: Strength Finder 2.o by Tom Rath

Wisdom of our elders: Grandmothers Counsel the World by Carol Schaefer

Spirituality: The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark by Sera Beak

Self-Love: When I Loved Myself Enough by Kim McMillen

“When I loved myself enough I quit wishing my life looked some other way and began to see that as it is, my life serves my evolution.”

“When I loved myself enough I no longer needed things or people to make me feel safe.”

“When I loved myself enough I began to feel a divine presence in me and hear its guidance. I am learning to trust this and live from it.”

No comments: