Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Shades of Fucking Gray or Delicious Ambiguity?

CC Magazine Logo (1)


699bd-michellefairchildccmagazineheader4-5-13


Come read my latest article called
Shades of Fucking Gray or Delicious Ambiguity?
in Cosmic Cowgirls Magazine

“Doubt is not a pleasant condition,
but certainty is absurd.”
– Voltaire

If you have come to read about obsessive love and kinky sex you have landed on the wrong article, though I am quite certain that via a Google search you can find references to that book or its new movie trailer.  This article is about something far more down and dirty.  I am talking about righteous certainty, black & white thinking, and arrogant belief systems.

Some of the words I chose are provoking and have negative connotations ~ words like righteous and arrogant, but I did so intentionally since we are exploring the terrain of that which is Taboo.  This is also why there is profanity in the title of this article.  I am not one to drop the F bomb in public, well not often, but those really close to me know that given the right set of circumstances I can swear like a sailor.  

Honestly, I almost faltered on including that particular word, but I use it with intention.  This is not the first time I have been drawn to write about the world of mystery.  Two of my previous articles, one entitled Do You Trust the Mystery?and another entitled The Sacred Space In Between have touched upon the topics of uncertainty and doubt.  I have shared about both my fascination with faith and the beauty of doubt, but also my struggle with trusting ambiguity. In the past I have taken a softer approach in my explorations of these topics.  This time I am pulling off the gloves and taking to task those things that make my fists clench, for you see when I look around I am finding much to agree with in Voltaire’s conclusion that “Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.”

Art background by Maya Fairchild
Art background by Maya Fairchild, 2014.

No comments: