Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mojo Monday ~ Comedy


Comedy is acting out optimism. ~ Robin Williams

Having a sense of humor about life helps reduce stress, can boost positive feelings and can even benefit your overall mental and physical health.

According to an article called Laughter Is the Best Medicine there are a number of things that occur physically when you laugh.

• Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.

• Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.

• Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.

• Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.

Knowing this has led me to view comedians more as Laugh Doctors or MD’s and I love to get a regular dose of the medicine they are prescribing.


I have had the good fortune to have seen comedian Robin Williams perform three times in person. Another favorite comedian who I also saw perform once in person is Stephen Wright. Click here to see him perform a stand up routine.



I recently watched Date Night with my husband and I have to say that at the start of the film I was feeling a bit stressed about my to-do list and yet by the end of the film I was feeling much more relaxed. 


Do you have a favorite comedian? A favorite comedy film?

What makes you laugh?



What is comedy? Comedy is the art of making people laugh without making them puke.
~ Steve Martin

Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age. ~ Dr. Seuss.

No comments: